To clean a dog's ears properly, follow these steps:
- Prepare the supplies: Gather a good-quality ear cleaning solution recommended by a veterinarian and some cotton balls or gauze pads.
- Examine the ears: Inspect your dog's ears for any signs of infection, such as redness, swelling, discharge, or a foul odor. If you notice any of these signs, consult a veterinarian before attempting to clean the ears.
- Get your dog comfortable: Find a quiet and well-lit area where you and your dog can comfortably interact. It can be helpful to have treats nearby to reward your dog throughout the process.
- Start the cleaning process: Lift your dog's ear flap gently and hold it up to expose the ear canal. Be gentle and avoid inserting anything too deep into the ear to prevent injury.
- Apply the cleaning solution: Squeeze a small amount of the ear cleaning solution into the ear canal. Always follow the directions on the product, as different solutions may have specific instructions. Avoid excessive use of the solution, as it can lead to irritation.
- Massage the ear: Gently massage the base of your dog's ear for about 20 to 30 seconds. This helps distribute the cleaning solution and loosens any debris or wax buildup.
- Remove the dirt and debris: With a cotton ball or gauze pad, gently wipe away any dirt, debris, or excessive moisture from the ear canal. Ensure that the cotton ball does not go too deep into the ear.
- Repeat the process: Continue steps 4-7 for the other ear, even if it appears clean. It's important to clean both ears to maintain overall ear health.
- Reward your dog: Praise and reward your dog with treats and gentle affection after each successful ear cleaning session. This positive reinforcement helps create a positive association with the process.
- Establish a routine: Depending on your dog's breed and susceptibility to ear problems, regular cleaning may be necessary. Consult your veterinarian for guidance on how often to clean your dog's ears.
Remember, if your dog seems to be in discomfort, there is extensive ear wax or debris, or if you notice any signs of infection, it's best to consult a veterinarian for a thorough examination and appropriate treatment.
Best Dog Ear Cleaners of 2023
Rating is 5 out of 5
Virbac Epi-Otic Advanced Ear Cleanser for Dogs & Cats, 8 oz
- Non-irritating solution
- Use during routine cleansing of sensitive ears
- Removes debris and excessive wax and dries the ear canal.
- Recommended for pets with chronic otitis externa which is chronic inflammation of a dogs external ear canal.
- It has a low pH, so it shouldn't interfere with other ear preparations.
Rating is 4.9 out of 5
Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Ear Therapy, 4 oz. – Cat and Dog Ear Cleaner to Help Soothe Itchiness and Cleans The Ear Canal from Debris and Buildup That May Cause Infection
- HELPS ALLEVIATE – This dog and cat ear cleaner was formulated with properties to help promote healthy ear canals. Rinse pet's ears daily with solution and massage area.
- DAILY MAINTENANCE – Helps breakdown buildup in the canal that may be causing foul odors and itching, scratching, and head shaking. Excellent for daily care and maintenance.
- GENTLE FOR SENSITIVE EARS – Alcohol-free, mildly scented, and a non-irritating formula, this cat and dog ear wash is suitable for sensitive ears and gentle enough for frequent use.
- FOR YOUR PETS – Clinical Care Ear Therapy is great for dogs, cats, and small animals over 12 weeks for daily care and to maintain the ear health of your pet.
- EFFECTIVE & AFFORDABLE – Our premium products are high-quality at an affordable price. Store original container in a cool, dry place away from the sun, below 86°F or 30°C.
Rating is 4.8 out of 5
Pet MD - Dog Ear Cleaner Wipes - Otic Cleanser for Dogs to Stop Ear Itching, and Infections with Aloe and Eucalyptus - 100 Count
- Advanced Formulation Designed to Gently Clean, Deodorize and Dry Your Pets Ears
- Gentle and Safe for Regular Use which Prevents Ear Infections, Reduces Wax Build Up and Removes Debris in and Around the Ear
- 100 Convenient, Alcohol Free, Soothing and Non-Irritating Disposable Ear Wipes for Dogs. For Dogs Over 12 Weeks Old
- Reduce Foul Ear Odor and Prevents Infection to Keeps Your Dog Happy and Healthy without Medication
- Made in the USA in Federally Regulated Manufacturing Facilities to Ensure Quality and Safety
Rating is 4.7 out of 5
Zymox Otic Enzymatic Solution for Dogs and Cats to Soothe Ear Infections with 1% Hydrocortisone for Itch Relief, 1.25oz
- Ear care for dogs and cats - soothes ear infections, redness and inflammation for pets of all ages
- Gentle, no-sting formula helps ease painful ear infections caused by germs, fungi and yeast
- Solution provides a safe, natural alternative to oral medication with 1% Hydrocortisone for itch relief
- No pre-cleaning of painful ears required - fill ear canal and let powerful solution get to work
- Patented LP3 Enzyme System helps clear ear secretions and promotes healthy ears
Rating is 4.6 out of 5
Vet's Best Ear Relief Finger Wipes | Ear Cleansing Finger Wipes for Dogs | Sooths & Deodorizes | 50 Disposable Wipes
- GENTLY CLEANSES – Vet’s Best Ear Relief Finger Wipes single-use finger wipes gently and effectively removes dirt and dissolves waxy build-up.
- SOOTHS & DEODORIZES - Regular use of our wipes will help to safely & gently remove build-up and discharge that can cause odor.
- NATURAL INGREDIENTS - Our wipes are free from Parabens and made with all-natural ingredients like Witch Hazel, Aloe Vera and Tea Tree Oil.
- FOR REGULAR USE – Use as needed until wipes are free of visible wax or build-up after use. Use 1-2 times weekly on a routine basis to maintain clean ears
- EASY TO USE – Simply rub the accessible portion of your dog’s ears with our pre-moistened wipe and dispose after use.
Rating is 4.5 out of 5
VetWELL Ear Cleaner for Dogs and Cats - Otic Rinse for Infections and Controlling Ear Infections and Odor in Pets - 8 oz (Cucumber Melon)
- Veterinarian Formulated to Gently Clean, Deodorize, Acidify and Dry Your Pets Ears
- Safe And Gentle Ear Cleanser with Aloe Vera for Daily Use. Won't Sting, Burn or Aggravate the Ear Canal
- Eliminates Build Up of Wax, Fluid, Dirt & Debris to Stop Itching, Scratching, Head Shaking and Irritation.
- Helps Relieve Ear Infections Caused by Growths, Buildup, and Itching.
- Made in the USA in Federally Regulated Manufacturing Facilities to Ensure Quality and Safety.
Rating is 4.4 out of 5
Zymox Ear Cleanser Solution for Dogs and Cats, 4oz
- Cat and dog ear cleaner – quickly and effectively clean non-infected ears in pets of all ages
- Gentle, non-toxic and non-irritating solution free from harsh detergents, veterinarian recommended
- Patented LP3 Enzyme System helps to gently maintain healthy, fresh smelling ears
- Cat and dog ear cleaner solution to manage dirty ears, safe for flushing the ears after an infection
- Proudly USA made in a Federally Regulated Manufacturing Facility, cruelty-free and easy to use
Rating is 4.3 out of 5
Vet's Best Ear Relief Wash Cleaner for Dogs, 16 oz Refill
- IMMEDIATE RELIEF - Vet's Best Ear Relief Wash Cleaner for Dogs cleans and soothes raw, itchy, smelly, or greasy dog ears.
- NATURAL INGREDIENTS - Vet’s Best Ear Relief Wash uses a carefully formulated combination of natural ingredients, including witch hazel, chamomile, aloe vera, clove oil, and tea tree oil to help control unpleasant odor and itching.
- AS NEEDED - May be used daily or as needed to clean ears and control wax build-up.
- TOTAL CARE - Vet's Best Ear Relief Wash Cleaner is part of our complete treatment system for raw, itchy, and smelly dog ears. Use with Vet’s Best Dry Ear Relief.
- MADE IN THE USA - Alcohol-free and non-stinging. Used to refill the Vet's Best 4 oz ear cleaner wash.
Rating is 4.2 out of 5
Virbac Epi-Otic Advanced Ear Cleaner, 8 oz
- Epi-Otic may be used for routine ear cleansing in healthy ear canal or prior to administration of other ear preparations
- A mild alcohol-free cleansing and drying solution for routine maintenance of otitis externa
- Epi-Otic has a low pH of 2.2 and contains no chlorhexidine or alcohol
- Packaging May Vary
Can I use witch hazel to clean my dog's ears?
While witch hazel is a natural astringent and can be used for various purposes, it is not recommended to use it to clean your dog's ears without consulting a veterinarian first. The reason is that dogs have sensitive ears, and using any substance or liquid in their ears without proper guidance can potentially cause harm or irritation. It is best to seek professional advice from a veterinarian who can recommend appropriate ear cleaning solutions or guide you on the best practices for cleaning your dog's ears.
Can I use saline solution to clean my dog's ears?
It is generally not recommended to use saline solution to clean your dog's ears without specific instructions from a veterinarian. Saline solution is primarily used for contact lens disinfection and wound cleaning purposes in humans.
Cleaning your dog's ears should be done with a solution specially formulated for pets, such as an ear cleaner recommended by your veterinarian. These solutions are often designed to address specific issues such as wax buildup, debris, or infections, and may contain ingredients that help break down earwax or have antibacterial properties.
Using inappropriate solutions, such as saline solution, may not effectively clean your dog's ears or could potentially cause irritation or damage. It is always best to consult with a veterinarian for specific advice on how to clean your dog's ears or to seek their recommendation on suitable ear cleaning products.
Can I use olive oil to clean my dog's ears?
No, you should not use olive oil or any other type of oil to clean your dog's ears unless specifically instructed to do so by a veterinarian. Cleaning your dog's ears should be done with a veterinarian-recommended ear cleaning solution made specifically for dogs. Using olive oil or other types of oils can potentially cause harm or irritation to your dog's ears. If you suspect any issues with your dog's ears, it is best to consult with a veterinarian for proper guidance and treatment.