To clean your dog's ears with vinegar, start by diluting the vinegar. Mix equal parts of white vinegar and water in a bowl or container. It's important to dilute the vinegar as its strong concentration can cause irritation to your dog's ears.
Soak a clean cotton ball or gauze pad in the vinegar and water mixture. Gently lift your dog's ear flap and hold it up to expose the ear canal. Be cautious and calm, as your dog may be sensitive in this area.
Using the soaked cotton ball or gauze pad, carefully wipe the inside of your dog's ear. Make sure to avoid going too deep into the ear canal to prevent any damage. Gently wipe away any dirt, debris, or wax buildup that you might see.
You can also use a cotton swab to clean the visible parts of the ear, but avoid inserting it into the ear canal. Be gentle and only clean the outer folds of the ear.
Repeat this process with a fresh cotton ball or gauze pad until both ears are clean. Make sure to use a new cotton ball or pad for each ear to avoid spreading any potential infection.
After cleaning, it's important to allow your dog's ears to dry naturally. Avoid using a hairdryer or any other drying methods, as they might cause discomfort or further irritation.
If your dog has excessive wax buildup, a foul odor, appears in pain, or shows signs of an ear infection, it is recommended to consult with a veterinarian before attempting any home treatments.
Best Dog Ear Cleaners of 2023
Rating is 5 out of 5
Virbac Epi-Otic Advanced Ear Cleanser for Dogs & Cats, 8 oz
- Non-irritating solution
- Use during routine cleansing of sensitive ears
- Removes debris and excessive wax and dries the ear canal.
- Recommended for pets with chronic otitis externa which is chronic inflammation of a dogs external ear canal.
- It has a low pH, so it shouldn't interfere with other ear preparations.
Rating is 4.9 out of 5
Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Ear Therapy, 4 oz. – Cat and Dog Ear Cleaner to Help Soothe Itchiness and Cleans The Ear Canal from Debris and Buildup That May Cause Infection
- HELPS ALLEVIATE – This dog and cat ear cleaner was formulated with properties to help promote healthy ear canals. Rinse pet's ears daily with solution and massage area.
- DAILY MAINTENANCE – Helps breakdown buildup in the canal that may be causing foul odors and itching, scratching, and head shaking. Excellent for daily care and maintenance.
- GENTLE FOR SENSITIVE EARS – Alcohol-free, mildly scented, and a non-irritating formula, this cat and dog ear wash is suitable for sensitive ears and gentle enough for frequent use.
- FOR YOUR PETS – Clinical Care Ear Therapy is great for dogs, cats, and small animals over 12 weeks for daily care and to maintain the ear health of your pet.
- EFFECTIVE & AFFORDABLE – Our premium products are high-quality at an affordable price. Store original container in a cool, dry place away from the sun, below 86°F or 30°C.
Rating is 4.8 out of 5
Pet MD - Dog Ear Cleaner Wipes - Otic Cleanser for Dogs to Stop Ear Itching, and Infections with Aloe and Eucalyptus - 100 Count
- Advanced Formulation Designed to Gently Clean, Deodorize and Dry Your Pets Ears
- Gentle and Safe for Regular Use which Prevents Ear Infections, Reduces Wax Build Up and Removes Debris in and Around the Ear
- 100 Convenient, Alcohol Free, Soothing and Non-Irritating Disposable Ear Wipes for Dogs. For Dogs Over 12 Weeks Old
- Reduce Foul Ear Odor and Prevents Infection to Keeps Your Dog Happy and Healthy without Medication
- Made in the USA in Federally Regulated Manufacturing Facilities to Ensure Quality and Safety
Rating is 4.7 out of 5
Zymox Otic Enzymatic Solution for Dogs and Cats to Soothe Ear Infections with 1% Hydrocortisone for Itch Relief, 1.25oz
- Ear care for dogs and cats - soothes ear infections, redness and inflammation for pets of all ages
- Gentle, no-sting formula helps ease painful ear infections caused by germs, fungi and yeast
- Solution provides a safe, natural alternative to oral medication with 1% Hydrocortisone for itch relief
- No pre-cleaning of painful ears required - fill ear canal and let powerful solution get to work
- Patented LP3 Enzyme System helps clear ear secretions and promotes healthy ears
Rating is 4.6 out of 5
Vet's Best Ear Relief Finger Wipes | Ear Cleansing Finger Wipes for Dogs | Sooths & Deodorizes | 50 Disposable Wipes
- GENTLY CLEANSES – Vet’s Best Ear Relief Finger Wipes single-use finger wipes gently and effectively removes dirt and dissolves waxy build-up.
- SOOTHS & DEODORIZES - Regular use of our wipes will help to safely & gently remove build-up and discharge that can cause odor.
- NATURAL INGREDIENTS - Our wipes are free from Parabens and made with all-natural ingredients like Witch Hazel, Aloe Vera and Tea Tree Oil.
- FOR REGULAR USE – Use as needed until wipes are free of visible wax or build-up after use. Use 1-2 times weekly on a routine basis to maintain clean ears
- EASY TO USE – Simply rub the accessible portion of your dog’s ears with our pre-moistened wipe and dispose after use.
Rating is 4.5 out of 5
VetWELL Ear Cleaner for Dogs and Cats - Otic Rinse for Infections and Controlling Ear Infections and Odor in Pets - 8 oz (Cucumber Melon)
- Veterinarian Formulated to Gently Clean, Deodorize, Acidify and Dry Your Pets Ears
- Safe And Gentle Ear Cleanser with Aloe Vera for Daily Use. Won't Sting, Burn or Aggravate the Ear Canal
- Eliminates Build Up of Wax, Fluid, Dirt & Debris to Stop Itching, Scratching, Head Shaking and Irritation.
- Helps Relieve Ear Infections Caused by Growths, Buildup, and Itching.
- Made in the USA in Federally Regulated Manufacturing Facilities to Ensure Quality and Safety.
Rating is 4.4 out of 5
Zymox Ear Cleanser Solution for Dogs and Cats, 4oz
- Cat and dog ear cleaner – quickly and effectively clean non-infected ears in pets of all ages
- Gentle, non-toxic and non-irritating solution free from harsh detergents, veterinarian recommended
- Patented LP3 Enzyme System helps to gently maintain healthy, fresh smelling ears
- Cat and dog ear cleaner solution to manage dirty ears, safe for flushing the ears after an infection
- Proudly USA made in a Federally Regulated Manufacturing Facility, cruelty-free and easy to use
Rating is 4.3 out of 5
Vet's Best Ear Relief Wash Cleaner for Dogs, 16 oz Refill
- IMMEDIATE RELIEF - Vet's Best Ear Relief Wash Cleaner for Dogs cleans and soothes raw, itchy, smelly, or greasy dog ears.
- NATURAL INGREDIENTS - Vet’s Best Ear Relief Wash uses a carefully formulated combination of natural ingredients, including witch hazel, chamomile, aloe vera, clove oil, and tea tree oil to help control unpleasant odor and itching.
- AS NEEDED - May be used daily or as needed to clean ears and control wax build-up.
- TOTAL CARE - Vet's Best Ear Relief Wash Cleaner is part of our complete treatment system for raw, itchy, and smelly dog ears. Use with Vet’s Best Dry Ear Relief.
- MADE IN THE USA - Alcohol-free and non-stinging. Used to refill the Vet's Best 4 oz ear cleaner wash.
Rating is 4.2 out of 5
Virbac Epi-Otic Advanced Ear Cleaner, 8 oz
- Epi-Otic may be used for routine ear cleansing in healthy ear canal or prior to administration of other ear preparations
- A mild alcohol-free cleansing and drying solution for routine maintenance of otitis externa
- Epi-Otic has a low pH of 2.2 and contains no chlorhexidine or alcohol
- Packaging May Vary
Is it normal for dogs to dislike the smell of vinegar during ear cleaning?
Yes, it is normal for dogs to dislike the smell of vinegar during ear cleaning. Dogs have a much stronger sense of smell than humans, and the acidic smell of vinegar can be overpowering for them. Additionally, some dogs may find the sensation of vinegar in their ears uncomfortable or irritating, leading to their dislike of the smell.
How often should I clean my dog's ears with vinegar?
Cleaning your dog's ears with vinegar should be done on an as-needed basis. Some dogs may require ear cleaning more often than others, depending on their breed, ear structure, activity level, and exposure to environmental factors. It is generally recommended to clean your dog's ears once every 1-2 weeks or as advised by your veterinarian. However, be sure to observe your dog's behavior and look for signs of excessive wax buildup, foul odor, redness, swelling, or discharge, as these may indicate an underlying ear infection that should be addressed by a vet before attempting home cleaning.
Is it safe to use vinegar on a dog's ears?
Vinegar can be used as a home remedy for certain ear issues in dogs, but it is important to use it in the right way and with caution. Diluted white vinegar (1-part vinegar to 1-part water) can help maintain the pH balance of a dog's ear, making it inhospitable for certain bacteria and yeast that can cause ear infections.
However, it is crucial to consult with a veterinarian before using vinegar or any other home remedy on your dog's ears, as it may not be appropriate for all situations. Factors such as the cause of the ear problem, type of infection, and overall health of the dog need to be considered. It is also necessary to always test a small amount of diluted vinegar on a small area of the dog's skin to check for any adverse reactions or irritations before applying it to the ears.
In general, it is best to seek veterinary advice for any potential ear problems your dog has, as a professional can guide you on the proper treatment and recommend the most suitable products or remedies based on your dog's specific condition.